Saturday, February 7, 2009

Homeless Emergency

I don't really freak out anymore when a homeless person walks into the library. Seems like an everyday occurrence to kick someone out for sleeping, being drunk, or just plain crazy. We have our regulars like Red, Marty, and this other really weird man that I am afraid of. He usually comes in and acts really normal, if carrying around a teddy bear and talking to it is normal. Now to get to the point of things sometimes our homeless men decide they should pull the fire alarm, TWICE! IN A ROW! This happen the other day and it totally freaked me out.



Just shelving books in the stacks and wondering why we had books on learning to wrestle in the library all of the sudden I heard the piercing and annoying sounds of the fire alarm along with bright lights flashing and blinding me. I turn to the circulation desk to see my manager freaking out, but hurrying to silence the alarm. This happen again in about three minutes.



The worst part about this occurrence was what happened afterwards. First, the fire department didn't come, but our alarm went nuts cause it kept beeping (three beeps) every time any door in the library was opened. Rosy decided that it was too annoying to stand for a whole day and created a "muffler" for the alarm. I put muffler in quotes cause it wasn't a muffler it was a fake bomb-looking cover made of masking tape, paper, and rags. Probably one of the scariest things to see when you walk it and here this "bomb" beeping. Please view the picture below:
Need I say more...

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. That is an interesting way to deal with the problem. Ha ha ha ha ha. So glad you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete