Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and the WTF

Many great happy, weird, and just outright ridiculous things happen in my day-to-day job at the library. Here is a list of just the few crazy happenings:

1. "Hello Girls." The Summer Reading Program is probably the greatest part of the library and also the worst time for moody librarians. The only thing that can make it great is the cute little children that visit the library to sign-up. Three cute little girls came in with their mom the other day and all signed for the SRP (this is cool library lingo for Summer Reading Program). As the left I say "Good-bye Girls!" The youngest, about four, responds, "Good-bye Girls," then quickly looks at me and corrects herself "Good-bye Boys." Mom laughs, I laugh, and little girl turns bright read. Below is my library display for the SRP:



2. "Wii bit Tired." If you are a devoted follower of this blog you have already heard about the Rodeo. Well, this was the second year for the Rodeo with one slight problem IT WAS RAINING BULLS AND SHEEP (please excuse the Rodeo reference). All in all we drove out to the Rodeo, in a storm because according to the new "It would pass in the next 15 minutes," WRONG! So it rained the Rodeo was cancelled and we were un-happy. How does one make Children/Teen Librarians happy? With two hours of Wii playing. See, we now have Wiis and a new one was purchased. Of course, we couldn't let others use it with checking to see if it works first, duh! So the after the Rodeo our afternoon consisted of Wii Sports, Mario Party, and Wii loads of fun.

3. "Bear Are Cute, Right?" We are in the 21st Century, you think most people would know how the heck to click a computer mouse and surf the net. Well, let me just give you an update THEY DON'T. I don't know how many time I have taught a mini computer class to dumb people that come in wanting to look up something or get something from the computer, WITHOUT KNOWING HOW TO USE ONE!!!" Not only this, but they don't even know the correct lingo. I mean everyone knows what a website, mouse, web page, Internet, and icon is RIGHT? Again, WRONG! Anyway, now that I have let out most of my computer-help frustrations lets get to the point of this story. One creepy weird and quite hairy (yes, earlobe hair included) man comes in with a sheet of paper with a website written on it. I look at it and is reads drillerbears. Okay I think to myself this will consist of me logging him in and directing him to this website. WRONG! It ends up that this website it a gay website that is all about bears, yes, bears. No, not cute cuddly bear (well, this depends on what you are into) BIG HAIRY GAY MEN BEARS. First of all, I don't know why this website isn't blocked, second, why is he wanting to go to it. EEEW, double eeew, gross! I help him get to the website and then he has no idea what to do. I show him how to click stuff (again, he has no idea how to use a mouse), tell him what an icon is, and have him look at the screen. The torture doesn't end there he continue to ask me question about this website for his entire hour on the computer. I almost died of frustration because he didn't know what to do on the website, he didn't know what a computer was, and finally it was the weirdest website ever.

This is getting rather long, so it will be continued in another blog post. Stay tuned...

2 comments: