Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Drunk Weekend

Crazy days happen all the time, but they don't always involve drunk people. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a little drinking, but when it gets to the point where you look creepy and freak-out librarians, I begin to wonder.

The day started off okay, just the normal opening procedures: turn on the copier, check the drop box, check-in books, answer the phone, call a cab for a drunk and scary man...

Wait, that last item on the list isn't a standard library procedure, but it did happen. While sitting at the desk a middle-aged, really drunk, grunting, and looking crazy man approaches the desk. I look at him and immediately think to myself, WHY ME! I proceed with my smile and my "Hi, something I can help you with?" "TAXI!" he says along with the violent grunts, deep breathing, and angry face. "Okay, do you know the number of the cab you want to call?" Wrong choice of question, he looks around (rather confused about what I just said), "no."

At this point I am freaking out because it looks like this man is going to reach across the desk and strangle me. I calmly (by calmly I mean basically running), get the phone book and dial the number of the first ad I see. Yellow Taxi-Cab.

"Yellow Taxi Cab, how can I help"
"Yes, I would like a cab for someone"
"Where are you going?" I turn to the man and ask, again, he looks a me in the im-gonna-kill-you stare and says "East!" East what the heck does that mean, it that a direction, and hotel, a what! I tell the lady on the phone "21 and Garnett area." That is pretty east to me.
"For whom, what's the name?" WHY THE HECK ARE YOU ASKING SO MANY F-ing questions. I turn to scary man and ask, "Whats you name sir?" "SJFDKJFOIRENBV." He mumbles some name that I don't understand and I have to ask a second time. "JOSE," he yelled.

Finally, I hang up and tell him to wait outside for the taxi. He stumbles out the door and kicks it open. I look over to my co-worker, "this ain't gonna be good. Should we call the police?" "I think he will stay outside, let's just wait a while he wont come back." Yell hopeful thinking...

But come back he did and this time is was even more frightening. He just looks at me and says "TAXI?" Being the dummy I am I ask the dumbest question in the world "It hasn't come yet?" Well. obviously not. shit! I go to the back room to try and get myself together. I tell him to go back outside and I will call again. I don't call again. Okay, that should be the last of that I think to myself. NOPE! He comes back and this time screams and grunts at us "TAXI!!" We tell him that we will call again and he kicks the door again and leaves.

I pick up the phone and this time dial the police. They come and tell him he can't come back into the library. Problem solved, right? Well, yeah but the rest of the day I kept watching the door because I thought he was coming back to kill me for calling the cops. Sheesh, I almost had a heart attack.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME. i wish i worked at the library. no joke, this should be made into a TV sitcom or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious. More stories more stories!!

    ReplyDelete